Wednesday, 19 February 2014

It Fell From Outer Space

So this is another first for me, I thought I'd do a bit of a post about one of my most favourite pieces of jewellery. It has the bonus of also being Astronomy themed so it kinda ties in.This is the necklace my lovely BF got my for my 21st last month. It is a piece of the Sikhote-Alin meteorite that fell in Russia in 1947.


It's an Iron meteorite that originated from the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, and could have been knocked out of it's orbit by colliding with another asteroid. The only difference between asteroids and a meteor, is that a meteor has passed into the Earth's orbit and is either burned up in the atmosphere or falls to the Earth then it becomes a meteorite. They are generally made of iron, silicates and rock.


Excuse the crappy model shot but I wanted to show you guys what it looked like on! It's quite a heavy and substatial piece and I do keep meaning to get a slightly sorter chain for it, but I just love how it looks on. It's really simple and subtle, but obviously the sentimental value for this is pretty massive! Plus it's not every day I get to wear a thing that was in space for a few billion years. The shop this is from is called Jurassic Jewellery, and they have some really lovely pieces!


What do you think of jewellery like this? Is it something you would try?

26 comments:

  1. Ahh!! That is really sweet!! It looks so pretty on u.. I would definitely wear it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog
    followed
    http://minimaysi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Looks lovely on you girl

    Naniko xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would try this jewellery for sure ! :) And thank you for your reaction on my blog, i really appriciate it :)

    xxxxx
    www.dominiquecandido.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww anyday, your blog is amazing!
      xxxx

      Delete
  5. This sounds incredible! I love how it has a story behind it and very interesting at that! and I really liked how you styled it for us to see as it looks better on and just love the natural form and shape! I normally collect crystal pieces necklaces so might have to look into ones like this :) very pretty x

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I would love to get more crystal pieces! Thanks for the lovely comment!
      xxxx

      Delete
  6. I think it looks nice and really unique.

    Ray | Obey Ray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to hear its background story, seems so much more valuable than any other piece of jewellery we could buy! I've never worn a necklace like that but it's uber cute :) x

    Hannah @ FashionistaDigital

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I WANT IT, I need it!!! I have been dying to get some space jewellery for ages, I even had idea of getting my engagement ring with a meteorite as a stone! LOVE IT!

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen rings like that before, they look stunning! You should def get something like that :P
      xxxx

      Delete
  9. Oh wow that's really cool and pretty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. definitely something I'd try! looks very unique! <3

    WISH UPON A SMILE

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute creation xx

    http://reallyliteral.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awhh it looks so cute dear :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete